Full course description
About this Course
Welcome to Beyond Compliance IEP. This course is broken into several short modules. Each module will have a video to watch and will include the slide deck and resource materials. You will want to have the resources handy (especially the Record Review Indicators) in order to participate in the learning. Modules should be viewed in sequence for the best experience but can be watched in any order.
Please note that there is a separate course for Preschool IEP. See the course description for that course for details and requirements.
Credit: 7 Contact Hours
Course Type: Self-paced Online Course
Course Level: Apprentice through Expert
Target Audience: Special Education Administrators, Teachers, Related Service Personnel
Expected Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Identify required elements for each section of the IEP
- Write compliant and meaningful PLOPs & Goals
- Understand when to use benchmarks vs. objectives
- Identify required components of Section 7
- Understand the difference between accommodations vs. modifications
- Understand how to meaningfully connect SDI, accommodations, and assistive tech
- Understand the who, what, where, & how of progress monitoring & reporting
- Understand the criteria for decision making for ESY & testing exemptions
- Identify required components for LRE justification
Meet the Instructors
Helen Brophy is a Special Education Consultant with a Transition to Work Endorsement for State Support State Team 8. Helen’s role involves all aspects of Special Education. She provides professional development, coaching and support to districts and staff. She provides support for districts during State reviews, as well as training in Internal Monitoring for best practices that will provide positive outcomes for districts and students.
Dee Dee Howes has been a special educator for over 23 years. Before joining SST8, Dee Dee was an Intervention Specialist across all grade levels, a special education supervisor, and a director. She specializes in compliance, instructional and behavioral intervention for students of low incidence, communication, and all other areas of service delivery. Dee Dee is passionate about helping other educators meet the needs of diverse learners.