Full course description
About this Course
This course will describe different aspects of underachievement and also provide some strategies to teachers to help with this population. Teachers will watch a video by Dr. Jim Delisle, read some articles on other views on underachievement, and also be provided with resources to help them when dealing with this aspect of gifted.
Gifted Competencies: E, F, G
Credit: 3 Contact Hours
Course Type: Self-paced Online Course
Course Level: Practitioner
Target Audience: K-12 Teachers
Expected Learning Outcomes
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- More fully understand the nature of underachievement in gifted students
- Understand why this may happen and how it may present itself
- Learn strategies that can be utilized to help these students be more successful in school (and life).
- If you would like to pay by credit card, you can click on the Enroll buttons to gain immediate access to this course.
- If you would like to pay by purchase order (PO) or by personal check, please contact us to make arrangements. Please note that you will not gain access to this course until we receive your payment.
- Please contact: Sally Gibson 330-945-5600 x 511246
Meet the Instructor
My teaching experience began in Minnesota where I taught art for 12 years. After moving to Ohio, I earned a gifted license and taught gifted for 4 years. At that point, I became a gifted coordinator and have worked as a coordinator for the last 16 years in a few different areas of the state in that capacity.
I will be Summit ESC's gifted coordinator. I will also be helping out in other curriculum areas as needed since I also have a background in the visual/performing arts as well as gifted certification.
Some duties may include:
- Gifted identification/overseeing written education plans
- Helping/advising on acceleration requests
- Helping to ensure compliance with any ODE requests